anthony js

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Streep!


I've mentioned this one on here previously. It premieres soon at the Sundance Film Festival.


I just watched the trailer for this one and it looks really good. Meryl Streep plays a much older woman and the rest of the cast includes Toni Collette, Vanessa Redgrave, Claire Danes, Glenn Close, Eileen Atkins, Patrick Wilson and Hugh Dancy.
Meryl is reunited with Robert Redford, and is also alongside Tom Cruise in this one. She herself has described it as a "complicated political thriller", and she plays a journalist.
This one sounds very interesting. A CIA analyst (Jake Gyllenhaal) "based in Cairo finds his world spinning out of control after he witnesses the interrogation of a foreign national by the Egyptian secret police. Reese Witherspoon is playing the pregnant American wife of the national. Alan Arkin also has been cast, playing a senator. Meryl Streep is a government official who orders the rendition of the national."
The screen version of the stage production. Details about the cast remain sketchy, but it'll no doubt mean dancing and more singing for Meryl.


There is no official confirmation, but if indeed Meryl does appear in this film about Leo Tolstoy, her co-actors will likely include Anthony Hopkins and Paul Giamatti.
(the above image, a still from Dark Matter, is from SimplyStreep.com)

4 Comments:

  • At Sat Apr 21, 11:29:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    I'll watch most things with her in it. Excellent actress.

     
  • At Sun Apr 22, 02:52:00 AM, Blogger jenniferlouisewright said…

    Hi Anthony! I just watched the trailer for Evening. I didn't like the music (hate Dido) and I always think trailers make films like this look too saccharine, but I felt the same about 'The Hours' after only seeing the trailer. That went onto become my favourite film EVER. So with that cast, we must expect spectacular things. Meryl and Toni together is long overdue. Will be such a treat. And Meryl's daughter is her CLONE! It's like seeing Meryl herself in 'The Deerhunter'!

     
  • At Sun Apr 22, 09:54:00 AM, Blogger Anthony Stoddart said…

    I thought exactly the same thing about Mamie Gummer - 'The Deerhunter'!

    Yes, I thought you'd like the Streep-Collette combination.

    I quite like Dido, but it's always a shame when they overuse certain songs to convey sentiment.

     
  • At Thu Apr 26, 02:35:00 AM, Blogger jenniferlouisewright said…

    I just find that once one gets into the great Kate, Dido just seems depressingly insipid. Do I just have too high standards? I'm used to being challenged now!

    Streep-Collette? IT'S A MATCH MADE IN CELLULOID HEAVEN. I love these two SO MUCH!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home