anthony js

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

City...

Thankfully, I no longer work in the city. I do, however, pass through it most days. Once, I didn't mind it. In fact, any sort of social activities I engaged in took place, largely, within the city. Now? On cue - as I step into it - I become tense. Anxious. Frustrated. Impatient. Disillusioned. Don't you love the way television promotions portray Brisbane's Queen Street Mall as classy and sophisticated? Spend some time in the middle of the mall, any day of the week at any time of the day. See if those clean and glossy magazine images match what surrounds you. What you'll find is a place seemingly determined to destroy any sign of even an ounce of classiness.

I have an ever-increasing problem with noise. Congregations of people who enjoy sitting in pedestrian thoroughfares at peak hour have always set me off. That's old news. But what I've found recently is how much I despise loud and ongoing noise. The noise of cars, trucks, buses and horns. I must be ageing abnormally rapidly. I jump when someone blows their car horn. I feel assaulted when some massive truck roars past, or when a motorbike tears by and drowns out the conversation I was in the middle of. It's an about-face for me, but I no longer carry any great desires to live in cities in the future. And Brisbane least of all. Any character it might have once had seems to fade more and more every day.

6 Comments:

  • At Tue Apr 03, 10:00:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I feel exactly the same- the crush. I don't like having my personal space impinged upon, and it happens every time I go to the city... cigarette smoke, pushy people, loiterers... ugh.

    Not to mention having to constantly raise your voice over the traffic noise. A civilised city would be more friendly to pedestrians than traffic.

     
  • At Tue Apr 03, 10:02:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Actually, I should also point out that Gam and I agree that it wasn't always this bad. It's definitely become worse, and is no doubt still getting worse.

     
  • At Tue Apr 03, 10:28:00 PM, Blogger Anthony Stoddart said…

    It certainly is getting worse. A 'day in town' used to be something people of all ages did...including parents with young children. Yet now, every time I see people with a young baby in the city, I think about how crazy they are. It's quite unfortunate.

     
  • At Tue Apr 03, 11:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, I'm Demian, an italian blogger. My blog called DEMOPAZZIA (www.demopazzia.ilcannocchiale.it)I write about society, politics and many ather things. I have a friend in Brisbane. I'm very courious to knows something about your city. Ok, I hope that you can visit my blog. Bye bye. Ciao.

     
  • At Thu Apr 05, 06:48:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said…

    The traffic just as bad at 7pm. I left uni early on Tuesday night and was amazed to find that the traffic was almost as bad as it is at 5pm. That's just crazy.

    (And don't get me started on the people who believe that walking 3 or more abreast is a great idea...)

     
  • At Thu Apr 05, 04:49:00 PM, Blogger Anthony Stoddart said…

    The 3-or-more-abreast people infuriate me also. But the thing is it's so unfortunate that it does infuriate me... This is what I mean about suddenly becoming amazingly impatient when in the city.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home