anthony js

Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Big Dry

For what seems to have been quite a while, I have been telling people that this drought isn't going to end. It isn't very optimistic of me, but I honestly believe that this is a new way of life now.

I just can't see it ending. I can't see the dams being full. I can't see weeks and weeks of rain. Mother Nature, long ago, became fed up with the abuse she was being subjected to and packed her bags, leaving us to our own devices.

It'll rain, but it'll only be for a few hours before those utterly irritating blue skies return for another long stay.

Remember a time when a hot and humid day would end with rain? A time when UQ and the Botanic Gardens had sprawling lushness? When lawn sprinklers were left on for hours? When people hosed their driveway? When weddings were ruined by damp weather? When people actually complained about rain?

It's depressing.

2 Comments:

  • At Sat Apr 21, 05:07:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Yeah, even the shrubs around our unit complex are dying, and my 'unkillable' sweet potato plant nearly died off until I started collecting shower water in a bucket!

    What's really annoying is that our complex doesn't have tanks, so all those days of summer rain really just went to waste.

    Also annoying is that every time we walk to Toowong we walk past a new multi-million dollar tower that has a water feature constantly running! Argh!

     
  • At Sat Apr 21, 06:07:00 PM, Blogger Anthony Stoddart said…

    If the space is there, I think tanks have really got to become a must for people now. And pools have become slightly redundant. And water features.

    I should look into what Lord Mayor Campbell's stance on rainwater tanks is these days. I distinctly remember him dissing the proposal that they become compulsory for all new homes. That was before it got this bad, though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home