anthony js

Monday, January 01, 2007

Saddam Hussein

Just a quick comment on Saddam Hussein's execution.

No one deserves to die, no matter what sort of horrendous acts they have committed. You don't punish a murderer by murdering them. It defeats the purpose of punishment and the reason for pursuing punishment in the first place, if you know what I mean. I wish I could articulate myself a little better.

Secondly, what, really, is the difference between Saddam Hussein and George W. Bush? Why has George not yet been led to the gallows? Both are/were responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths (as well as the eroding of civil liberties). What makes George the good guy and Saddam the bad guy, exactly?

Is it wrong that I actually felt upset seeing the photo of Saddam Hussein with a noose around his neck? This is a serious question, too. Awful man. Sickeningly awful. But deserved of death? Did it really make any sense to say "You killed. This requires punishment in the form of killing you."

Food for thought, my little ones.

Happy New Year.

3 Comments:

  • At Tue Jan 02, 12:29:00 AM, Blogger jenniferlouisewright said…

    Just had to comment on this. Was going to post myself the exact same thing.

    As I saw the horrific footage on the news of this man (yes, a mass murderer) with a noose round his neck I felt revulsion and shame that I am living in a world which thinks this is right. I began to feel sympathy for him. How could I not? I felt revulsion for his crimes but how could I feel comfortable seeing a human about to face death in the most bleak way possible.

    I am not in favour of the death penalty in ANY situation. It has no place in a civilised society, and is no way to set examples or precendents or lessons. Saddam's death will do nothing to aliviate tensions in that country, and he will indeed become a martyr to his cause.

    Of course I abhor everything he did, that goes without saying. But equally, I abhor the actions of the Bush monster and his administration, and B-LIAR who themselves ARE indirectly responsible for the deaths of thousands.

    The whole thing makes me feel sick and uneasy and I found that footage of Saddam too disturbing and horrific to watch. No one will ever persuade me that the death penalty is right. It is not. And his execution was for political reasons ...

    Why is it that the world is filled with regimes headed by sadistic, evil men ... but these men have never been brought to task? I cnanot help feeling that Saddam has been a scapegoat. Why don't the US go and remove the nutcase in Korea for example?

    Am so against this and it made a disturbing start to the new year. Thanks for posting about it - I never doubted you would share my views. Saddam's execution is as barbaric as his crimes. How can that be right? you don't fight like with like ... it is medieval thinking to do so.

     
  • At Mon Jan 08, 04:22:00 AM, Blogger jenniferlouisewright said…

    Isn't it dispicable that we live in such a disposable culture now. Graphic footage like that can be displayed alongside silly videos of cats falling over and celebrities making cretins of themselves.

    The whole thing is dreadfully unsavoury and makes me lament our disposable generation.

    I remain of the opinion that the execution of this man was wrong in every sense.

     
  • At Wed Jan 10, 04:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey I like what u've said as always!!!

    I love the design above! how cool...oh?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home