anthony js

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Australian

I've been buying this newspaper for a couple of years. And we all know that it has always been considered generally conservative. The Murdoch-ness could always be found.

But now it's outwardly and unashamedly conservative, and I'm really tired of it. Almost every time I read it now, I end up telling myself to never buy another one... The thing is, I do keep getting it, because Queensland's alternative newspaper is even worse. And I happen to enjoy reading the newspaper. But the problem is, I can't read The Australian anymore without my blood pressure rising at least a couple of times...

In today's opinion/editorial section (pages 16 & 17), you will find

BRUVVERS PUSH PARENTS TO THE COALITION CAUSE: The teachers unions have hurt public education, but conservatives can save it (Janet Albrechtsen)

NEO-CONSERVATISM ISN'T DEAD, IT'S THE ONLY VIABLE OPTION: Don't blame the neo-cons for the Iraq mess; their ideas about exporting democracy remain valid (Joshua Muravchik)

POPULIST GREENERY WILL HURT GARDEN STATE: Steve Bracks's obsession with green policies threatens Victoria's future prosperity (Alan Wood, Economics Editor)

TANNER NEGLECTS ROLE PLAYED BY LEFT IDEOLOGUES IN ACADEMIA


Of course, there is an exclusive group (which, I might add, gets consistently closer to extinction) of non-conservatives at The Australian. And I suppose I should be thankful that the newspaper has them working for it at all. But, yeah... What can I say?

2 Comments:

  • At Thu Nov 23, 08:51:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I once signed up for the weekend Australian in order to use the cheap newspaper as guinea-pig litter.

    I read it online... that way not even a fraction of a cent of my money goes to fund Janet Albrechtson's lifestyle. They do have good news coverage, but when it comes to politics (here and overseas) and the environment, you can't trust the Aus as far as you could chew it up into little balls and spit it.

     
  • At Tue Nov 28, 09:57:00 PM, Blogger Don Quixote said…

    The Age is far more worthy of your reading time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home