anthony js

Monday, November 27, 2006

As 2006 nears its conclusion...

I try to avoid thinking about just how quickly this year has sped by. I do, in all honesty, find the way in which time flies scary and depressing. I know most of us comment each November/December on how quickly the year has gone by. But 2006 obviously wanted to move things along. I find it astonishing that Christmas decorations are up once again.

In January, I posted a short list of hypothetical events that I hoped would be realised in 2006. Let me reflect upon it...

~ The retirement of John Howard

Well, that sadly didn't happen. Indeed, our beloved PM pledged to run at the next election.


~ The rise of Julia Gillard

You probably couldn't say there was any significant 'rise'. There was talk, of course - on and off - about Julia Gillard's future, but there were no dramatic changes made to her profile. I still hope to see her as leader or deputy one day.

~ The re-election of Hillary Clinton as New York Senator

It happened (albeit predictably)!

~ The overwhelming nationwide success of the U.S. Democrats in the elections

It happened! The mid-term elections in the U.S. were indeed fruitful for the Democrats. They will, as a result, control the House of Reps and the Senate.

~ The severe trampling of George W. Bush by a large number of elephants and goats

It was always only going to be wishful thinking.

~ The collapse of Channel Ten

Alas, no. I remain hopeful, even though it already plays no part in my TV viewing anyhow.

~ The disappearance of Alexander Downer

Unfortunately, the arrogant bastard remains.

~ The arrival of a long, cold winter

It wasn't long and it wasn't cold enough for me. But rest assured, we'll get a fucking long, fucking hot summer. Yay (not).

~ The vast and speedy expansion of the CBD

I suppose it expanded vertically. So much digging going on in there. Such a mess.

~ The return of Fast Forward and Full Frontal

It'd be nice, but no.

~ The deterioration of James Blunt's throat

I don't believe it happened, though he has certainly been off the radar for a while. But I must take that wish back. A little harsh. And besides, I happen to have warmed to his song, 'Wisemen'.

4 Comments:

  • At Tue Nov 28, 07:48:00 AM, Blogger jenniferlouisewright said…

    Well at least we've seen the less attractive, less talented and less worthwhile Bush finally get a political pounding.

    I hope you will retain your harsh feelings towards Mr Blunt! I detest his music ...

    Oh and do check out the new Kate photo on my blog. My God it's a stunner!

    Jennifer xx

     
  • At Tue Nov 28, 07:49:00 AM, Blogger jenniferlouisewright said…

    Well at least we've seen the less attractive, less talented and less worthwhile Bush finally get a political pounding.

    I hope you will retain your harsh feelings towards Mr Blunt! I detest his music ...

    Oh and do check out the new Kate photo on my blog. My God it's a stunner!

    Jennifer xx

     
  • At Thu Nov 30, 10:47:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Shame on you, Anthony, wishing for a long, cold winter! We had the coldest september on record, if you might remember... I'm holding you responsible. It's cold today, too. In fact, I think the cold is going to your brain, which might explain your sudden liking for James Blunt :P

    As for the rest of your predictions:

    Julia Gillard's profile has risen in 2006, I think. Now the talk of 'leadership potential' has changed to talk of her as a frontrunner in the 'replace Beazley race'. I just hope she and Rudd can hold off a challenge until Kim has strung himself up at the next election, otherwise they'll probably get Lathamed, with Kim waiting in the wings for another serve. I think you can count your prediction fulfilled.

    Retirement of Howard (were you hoping he would elope to Tahiti with Alexander Downer, perhaps?) was never going to happen. Not while he thinks he's still on a winning streak.

    And instead of the return of fast forward and full frontal, we got to see the axing of the glass house. Bastards!

     
  • At Sun Dec 03, 11:59:00 AM, Blogger Anthony Stoddart said…

    Thank you all for your superb comments.

    Jennifer, "less attractive, less talented and less worthwhile" implies that George W actually nevertheless is not completely lacking in attractiveness, talent and worthwhileness (?)! How generous you're being!

    Hayden, I was sort of thinking that Alice Springs might be approaching its own mini ice age... I could be wrong, of course...

    Sarah, the late November/early December period each year is utterly depressing for me. To wake up in one's own sweat, and to then go to sleep in one's own sweat after a day of sweating in between heat-induced losses of temper, sitting under fans that do nothing but circulate the hot air, and watching newsreaders declaring that "tomorrow will be fine and hot" (all said with a beaming smile as they sit in their air-conditioned studios)...has never provided me with any enjoyment. I intend to move one day to somewhere that remains cold and rainy (just the way I like it!).

    Our weather preferences differ starkly.

    You know what? Howard is going to win in 2007, despite whether Kim is leader or Kevin is leader. You're right, retirement does seem a very remote prospect. And I find that ALMOST as depressing as the summer heat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home