anthony js

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Woes of all sorts



I gotta say, there hasn't been a whole lot politically that has inspired me to post lately. I mean, there's been quite a lot going on, but nothing that wouldn't provoke the same sort of thing that I and others have already been saying. The Howard government face a lot of problems, and continue to have a heck of a lot to answer for. But we hear more about the Labor Party's inability to take advantage of the government's woes than the inability of the government to rectify its monumental mistakes.

Latest polls show that Julia Gillard and Kevin Rudd would both receive higher public approval ratings as leader of the opposition than Kim Beazley currently does. Well, that wouldn't be hard. I used to quite like Mr. Beazley, but I'm beginning to resent him for sticking around in hope of a miraculous turn-around. If he really cares about his party and its prospects of winning the next federal election, he will soon face the facts.

Perhaps the problem, as a friend suggested, is a conservative society reluctant to face change in times already uncertain. Perhaps an allegedly healthy economy really is the be all and end all...?

3 Comments:

  • At Tue May 02, 05:04:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Are times really more uncertain than they ever have been at any particular point in our history?

     
  • At Tue May 02, 08:04:00 PM, Blogger Anthony Stoddart said…

    Sarah, I agree wholeheartedly with the point you make. I actually think that governments would LIKE for us to feel as though we live in particularly uncertain, scary times. Fear is an excellent political tool, as has been said many times, and rightfully so.

     
  • At Tue May 02, 08:07:00 PM, Blogger Anthony Stoddart said…

    Hayden, I suppose the reason I decided to say "allegedly healthy economy" is because I don't consider an ever-growing gap between rich and poor to be an indication of a good economy. I'm glad you picked up on that wording...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home