anthony js

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Faith-based policy

We all know that the separation of Church from State was blown out of the water by the current US administration.

On Monday, speaking in California, George said

"I based a lot of my foreign policy decisions on some things that I think are true. One, I believe there's an Almighty, and secondly, I believe one of the great gifts of the Almighty is the desire in everybody's soul, regardless of what you look like or where you live, to be free."

(www.dubyaspeak.com)

He didn't go very far with it, but there it is. It isn't the first time he's talked about his faith and its role in his decision making.

"I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn't do my job."

"Today, through sonograms and other technology, we can clearly -- see clearly that unborn children are members of the human family, as well. They reflect our image, and they are created in God's own image."

"America is a nation that is -- a nation that values our relationship with an Almighty. Declaration of God in the Pledge of Allegiance doesn't violate rights. As a matter of fact, it's a confirmation of the fact that we received our rights from God, as proclaimed in our Declaration of Independence. I -- I believe that it points up the fact that we need common-sense judges who understand that our rights were derived from God. And those are the kind of judges I intend to put on the bench."

(I find the last one particularly disturbing)

I was going to highlight John Howard's call for further restrictions on gun ownership, but Sarah has already said everything that I could possibly have wanted to say on it.
http://todaysapatheticyouth.blogspot.com/2006/04/further-restrictions-on-gun-ownership.html

1 Comments:

  • At Thu Apr 27, 10:21:00 PM, Blogger jenniferlouisewright said…

    OH MY GOD

    I surely cannot be alone in finding those comments absolutely terrifying.

    This explains so much about the current administration. Every day I become more and more grateful for my lack of subscription to an 'all encompassing' religion.

    No wonder America is in the bloody mess that it is in. I concur totally with your beliefs here ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home