anthony js

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Twisted


A quick break from politics.

I watched Mars Attacks! today for the first time in a while. It's one of the most odd films I know of. It sort of pays satirical homage to the disaster movies of the 1950s. The cast is one of the best ever assembled for a film. And yet, I don't know if it really works.

Mars Attacks! has bothered me since I first saw it. I just cannot decide whether or not I like it. Some of the dialogue swings and misses, whilst other sections display sheer brilliance. I'd really like to know what others think of it.

The movie really has a go at America, and carries the potential to upset her patriots. The ways in which the President (Jack Nicholson) and First Lady (Glenn Close) meet their fate are rather disturbing (at least for me). And yet, there is humour mixed in too. As he bellows about the strength of the US Army, the General is reduced to the height of a pin and squashed. The nuclear weapons, which we think should surely resolve the Martian problem, are made a mockery of. Members of Congress are wiped out in a matter of seconds. The Martians turn the Washington Monument into a weapon. A southern redneck family, ready with their rifles, are proved useless.

The resolution is utterly strange and completely unexpected. And it is not brought about by any kind of armed force.

I enjoy Tim Burton's dark style, but did he go too far with this one? I'm going to say no. But it is nevertheless very, very weird and extremely twisted. And I'm still no closer to knowing whether I like it or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home