anthony js

Monday, April 03, 2006

100 Greatest Film Performances



Still on movies...

Premiere Magazine published a list of the 100 greatest film performances. I've only seen two of the top ten performances. I don't wish to sound like a movie geek...but I have some catching up to do.

The greatest three performances are pictured above.

1. Peter O'Toole as T.E. Lawrence: Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

2. Marlon Brando as Terry Malloy: On the Waterfront (1954)

3. Meryl Streep as Sophie Zawistowska: Sophie’s Choice (1982)

4. Al Pacino as Sonny Wortzik in Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

5. Bette Davis as Margo Channing in All About Eve (1950)


6. James Cagney as George M. Cohan in Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
7. Dustin Hoffman as "Ratso" Rizzo in Midnight Cowboy (1969)
8. James Stewart as George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
9. Gene Wilder as Dr. Frederick Frankenstein in Young Frankenstein (1974)
10. Robert De Niro as Jake La Motta in Raging Bull (1980)

http://www.premiere.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=2697&page_number=25

6 Comments:

  • At Mon Apr 03, 10:39:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    You win- the only one I've seen is 'Lawrence of Arabia'!

     
  • At Wed Apr 05, 08:06:00 PM, Blogger Anthony Stoddart said…

    May I ask why you have that rule?

     
  • At Thu Apr 06, 07:23:00 PM, Blogger Anthony Stoddart said…

    Oh, it's sad that you're bored by them. Look, I'm gonna name some films from before your birth date that are virtually impossible to find boring.

    A Clockwork Orange
    Annie Hall
    The Birds
    Dr. Strangelove
    Jaws
    The Return of the Pink Panther

     
  • At Tue Apr 11, 11:10:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    A Clockwork Orange & Dr Strangelove are two really great films. I tend to wait for recommendations from people who I generally consider to have good taste before wasting 2 hours of my life watching something though. There are so many movies in existence I wouldn't find it worthwhile sitting through them all just to find the relatively few gems that are out there.

     
  • At Fri Apr 21, 04:06:00 AM, Blogger jenniferlouisewright said…

    Which are the ones you have seen?

    Personally I don't think Meryl will ever be bettered in SOPHIE. I have still seen nothing to compare.

     
  • At Fri Apr 21, 09:45:00 AM, Blogger Anthony Stoddart said…

    Sadly, I've only seen two:

    Sophie's Choice
    All About Eve

    Naturally, I agree with you about Meryl in Sophie's Choice. She not only speaks three languages in it, but she comes across beautifully as such a tragic war-torn figure.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home