anthony js

Tuesday, July 12, 2005















This morning, I went and saw Oyster Farmer at the Dendy. I enjoyed it. It was a really good quality, Australian film. The Australian film industry is struggling at the moment, so I hope that films like this one can help it recover. I genuinely encourage people to see more local films. Most are really well-made, consisting of great actors, three-dimensional characters, and real stories. There's too much brainless crap at the cinemas and on TV, yet people seem all too willing to accept and consume it.




And often forgotten, Australia has some wonderful actors...

Rush; Blanchett; Kidman; Thompson; Armstrong; Wenham; Weaving; Neill; Hunter; Thornton; McInnes; Griffiths; Crowe; Collette; Watts; Pearce, to name a few of the more familiar ones.

2 Comments:

  • At Tue Jul 12, 12:45:00 PM, Blogger Anthony Stoddart said…

    Yes, I learnt of your views about the local industry during my recent visit! And I do understand your point(s). I used to have a pretty similar view, actually.

    Yes, the finance problem really needs to be rectified. And I guess it can be if more people go to Australian movies; and if the federal/state governments increase their funding of the industry. (I believe the QLD govt. has done that over recent times.)

    I'm not sure if I completely agree with you about the accent. I think the Australian accent is terrific for comedy, particularly. (Of course, The Castle is the prime example.) And I honestly believe that the main reason why our accent may not sound as dramatic on-screen is that we speak it every day. And, like you said, we are very used to the U.S. accent.

    And call me cynical/fastidious, but why can't the 'bang for the buck' include actual plots and unhappy endings? The local industry will never recover if all people want is the same old clichéd explosions, save-the-day heroes and computer hackers.

     
  • At Wed Jul 13, 08:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well said! the both of you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home