anthony js

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Kate Bush


About six months ago, I discovered Kate Bush. I'd heard of her before, knew she was a singer, but was not familiar with any of her work as such. The Weekend Australian carried a large feature article on her (either late last year or earlier this year) after the release of her latest album, Aerial. I read the article, and decided to learn more about her and hear her music. She's now one of my favourite artists. She has a magical voice, and her songs are very creative and, well, very different to anything the mainstream radio stations play.

She was 'discovered' by David Gilmour, a member of Pink Floyd, emerging in the late 1970s with her debut album, The Kick Inside (1978). This album featured one of her better-known songs, Wuthering Heights - an exhilarant number. Her music videos are quite abstract and interpretive. They are really very unlike anything that is made today. The ones I've seen take no use of any over-the-top special effects or extravagent sets. Here's a couple...

Wow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKh-HhzMXGE&search=kate%20bush

Babooshka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz07Hf5htfY&search=kate%20bush%20babooshka

The lyrics to Wow - a superb song that I would recommend to the ears of all - have me intrigued. It seems to hint to pretense, competition and homosexuality in the acting industry.

We're all alone on the stage tonight, We've been told we're not afraid of you,
We know all our lines so well, ah-ha, We've said them so many times,
Time and time again, Line and line again.
"Ooh yeah, you're amazing,We think you're incredible"
You say we're fantastic
But still we don't head the bill

Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow
Unbelievable

When the actor reaches his death, You know it's not for real
He just holds his breath
But he always dives too soon, Too fast to save himself
He'll never make the screen, He'll never make "The Sweeney", Be that movie queen
He's too busy hitting the Vaseline.
“Ooh yeah you're amazing,We think you are really cool"
"We'd give you a part my love,But you'd have to play the fool.”

WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW,
Unbelievable.


Kate Bush is not for everyone. She may even be an acquired taste as far as music goes. But it's her originality, and her incredible voice, that make her a pretty amazing artist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Bush

5 Comments:

  • At Fri May 26, 10:55:00 PM, Blogger jenniferlouisewright said…

    Anthony, Anthony, Anthony ... YOU BLOODY STAR! Marry me, please?!?!

    At last, a chap with the same views on Kate as me!! I have known her music for my entire life, but haven't become firmly under the spell until recently. Now I rarely listen to anything else! I adore the literary quality of her lyrics and her voice is such an incredible instrument of humanity and fragility that I never ever grow tired of hearing it. Who else is there to compare to her? she writes, performs, choreographs, directs, she does everything. How can it be possible that such talent is vested into one woman?! And she's humble too! I could go on and on ... but what I will say is, I am thinking of setting up a Kate blog, so I can dedicate a whole site to her lyrics and things. I know this seems obsessive, but it's just she's had a rather profound affect on me of late, and modern is pissing me off so much, one just wants to consume as much quality as possible. Would you be interested in contributing to a Kate blog?!

    Jennifer

     
  • At Fri May 26, 10:56:00 PM, Blogger jenniferlouisewright said…

    LOL - I meant to say that 'modern life is pissing me off' haha.

    PS - Have you heard Kate's covers of 'The Man I love' and 'Sexual Healing?' you have to - they're amazing.

     
  • At Sat May 27, 09:00:00 AM, Blogger Anthony Stoddart said…

    I would certainly be interested in contributing to a KB blog. But I suspect that my knowledge of KB does not come even remotely close to the level of yours. But yes, it sounds like an excellent idea and I would help you out wherever I could.

    P.S. When's our wedding date?

     
  • At Sat May 27, 06:54:00 PM, Blogger jenniferlouisewright said…

    Aahhh bless ya - my ate knowledge is only coming gradually! this would just be a pure 'fan appreciation' thing even though I am definitely shwoing signs of turning into a complete anaorak! What can I say, Kate does that to one!

    I think we should have a summer wedding ... lol.

     
  • At Mon May 29, 09:06:00 PM, Blogger jenniferlouisewright said…

    Hello again - just a thought re: Kate's music videos. The early ones are pretty much just Kate and her dancing, which interpret the lyrics of the song and sort of communicate through mime and gesture really. You should see the first version of the Wuthering Heights video - - - it's filmed in a forest with Kate swirling about in a red dress with much hair! quite fabulous ... she starts to become more ostentatious with the 'Army Dreamers' video (one of her best) but I think that THE best Kate Bush video is for 'Cloudbusing' which I do hope you can track down. Kate plays a 12 year old boy, and the wonderful Donald Sutherland, her father. It's beautifully edited and constructed and has a real filmic narrative - you can tell that our Kate's aestethics have been cinematically inspired.

    Sorry to ramble - but just thought I'd send you some recommendations! the video for 'The Sensual World' is also a favourite. None of them make extensive use of computers or gimmicks or anything at all, which is a lovely touch especially in this day and age. Oh yeah, and the choreography in the 'Running up that Hill' vid is beautiful.

    Hmmm. I think it's time for a Kate blog! lol ... ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home